Logic and Compassion, Facts and Nurturing, Fun and Exploring - check here

We continue the sometimes joyful and sometimes painful path to try to be better human beings - this is only possible because we can rise above logic, that we find the wonder and hope, the language and words to inspire us and keep us going. Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Choosing An Ergonomic Keyboard And Mouse - Applelinks.com

Choosing An Ergonomic Keyboard And Mouse - Applelinks.com


I've been writing about health social networks and last week, I found myself enjoying the wealth of friendship and great support and help on the Internet, there for the asking!

After seeing my doctor and having identified as having suffered Shoulder Rotator Cuff injury - the exercises he prescribed hurt and he said if the hurt continued, the next step would be an injection.

I didn't want that, so instead of going back to the doctor, I looked on the Internet. Here's what I found:

1. a helpful blog by Adin in Palo Alto - http://siliconvalleyfit.com/author/adin/ - and I signed up with his partner, Chiropractor Dominique for treatment which is slowly healing my shoulder, and put myself on a plan to get healthier all round!

In the process after a couple of visits, in discussion with Dom, I told him I was fearful of triggering off the wrist pain that had resulted in me wearing a wrist sling for 2 months.

While it was not Carpal Tunnel, it was due to a Repetitive Strain Injury, such as one might get through lots of keyboarding and mousing.

Talking this over with friends, I was encouraged to look for a more ergonomic set up for my computer. That led to the next find on the Internet.


2. Charles Moore's article in Applelinks from 2002 - about ergonomic keyboards and mice.

You can read the rest of the story in Charles latest article at Applelinks. My takeaway lessons


Lesson 1 - FACE UP TO IT

- After I stopped denying I had a problem when I looked for help I found the right kind of help I needed. when I reached out to the help I found, I put myself on the road to recovery.


Lesson 2 - TIME

- Muscle Injuries take time to understand and work out the appropriate exercise response. Doctors can only help so far when they have a short amount of time - it took the work with Adin and Dominique spending an hour or more working with what I could do, when the pain began and stopped - to work out what exercises would really help the muscles recover.

Lesson 3 - RESPONSIBILITY

- Take responsibility for my response to health issues. When I buy a printer, I take more time to research the purchase than I would when I have a health issue, because I use to do just as the doctor advised. Now I know to take more responsibility for my health and do my part in research and taking action.

Lesson 4 - There are WONDERFUL PEOPLE you can find on the Internet - whether in Nova Scotia like Charles or Adin and Dominique in Palo Alto - I am appreciative of the help they have provided me.


MIT OpenCourseWare: I'm invested

No comments: